- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Products Liability Litigation
- Antitrust Litigation
- Catastrophic Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation
- Healthcare Litigation
Who leaves an elite U.S. law firm after earning equity partner status? Answer: either an insane person or Luis (“Lui”). After you listen to him, you understand why, he has bigger dreams.
Lui is distinguished for the extensive experience, sound judgment and business-minded perspective he brings to his work on behalf of clients engaged in high-risk litigation. He has a stellar track record successfully litigating business and contractual disputes as well as complex, high-risk products liability and commercial disputes for plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts throughout the United States and its territories.
For almost 20 years, clients such as Philip Morris USA, NextEra, Chevron, and the Dosoretz family have continuously relied on Lui to achieve their desired results, both before and during litigation. Whether he is appearing in court, formulating strategy, preparing for or defending depositions, negotiating favorable settlements, being called on to test key issues via mock trials, battling injunction hearings, trying cases, or providing general business guidance, Lui’s quiet resolve and his passionate, dogged determination instill confidence and peace of mind in his clients while ensuring they achieve their desired outcomes.
2018 and 2019 have been spectacular for Lui:
- Lui led the prosecution and defense of five cases nationwide that changed Florida law related to non-compete agreements in Florida. Representing a group of physicians wanting to improve healthcare delivery, he filed a federal antitrust case that ultimately led to unanimous passage of a Florida law preventing enforcement of non-competes when the physicians’ employer is the only provider of that medical specialty in a particular county. His legal team also defeated a subsequent preliminary injunction action by the employer seeking to declare the law unconstitutional.
- A multinational chain retained Lui to defend against an antitrust class action on cutting edge issues.
- Lui obtained an injunction retaining possession of a $4 million dollar Miami condo for a foreign entity.
- He successfully litigated a case involving one of the few multi-million dollar large parcels left in the city of Doral, Florida
- He obtained complete dismissal of a case against an exiled Venezuelan who was being sued by his business partners for over $1 million
- Lui has been vigorously defending a large tour operator in federal court in New York and Florida surrounding acts in the Caribbean
- A major multinational hired Lui to enforce foreign judgments in Florida
In addition to being a presence in the U.S. and Florida, his impeccable command of Spanish and Portuguese (which he continues to learn) positions him to handle inbound and outbound matters throughout Venezuela, Argentina, Mexico and other Latin American countries. Noteworthy point: He took classes and taught himself Portuguese to prepare for work on behalf of a leading oil company that required him to live in Brazil for two months.
When describing the most moving case in his career, Lui immediately mentions a widowed Argentine national who called him from Argentina after her husband had died while on vacation in Miami Beach. Lui visited the widowed mother of one young child several times to guide her through the process of seeking justice against the company responsible for her husband’s death.
Beyond his litigation work, Lui, who has an MBA in finance and investments, provides litigation risk analysis and strategic advice to varied corporate clients. Clients appreciate that Lui can rattle from the top of his head issues related to income statements, statements of cash flow, and balance sheets.
A longtime member of such organizations as the Cuban American Bar Association, Lui has consistently shared his thought-leadership to advance the practice of law. This work includes publishing countless articles about judicial races and playing an active role in judicial elections to ensure the community can make informed decisions on elected judges. Based on his deep industry experience and community involvement, in 2014 Florida Governor Rick Scott appointed Lui to serve on the Judicial Nominating Commission for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit. He ultimately was unanimously elected chair of the JNC.
A big believer in helping the next generation, Lui has helped many younger diverse lawyers achieve their dreams of becoming judges.
- Villanova University, J.D.
- The George Washington University, M.B.A.
- Concentration Finance and Investments
- Member: Case Champion Team
- University of Florida, B.A.
• District of Columbia
• New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals: First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court: Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court: Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court: Middle District of Florida
AWARDS, RECOGNITIONS AND ASSOCIATION
- Florida Legal Elite (2010, 2011, 2014)
- Cuban American Bar Association (Director, 2002, 2006, 2007)
- Member, Belen Jesuit Preparatory Alumni Organization; Belen Alumni Lawyers Section
- Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Former Chair, Florida Eleventh Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission (2014-2018)
- Member of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit